AnyHow Blogs
anyhowblogs title

Heat Wave

The weather is horrendous. I thought that the end of the year should be overclouded with showers and thunderstorms in equatorial Singapore, however it seems that the rain gods have decided to take a long vacation overseas.


The sun has been beating down on us for the past few days, relentless in its quest to fry a few more brains. Each time I step out of the shower, my sweat glands start going into overtime again and I immediately feel like jumping right back into the cold shower water. It's become so bad that I even have to resort to turning on my air-con in the afternoon and sitting topless in front of my lappy with my fan, which is just beside my lappy, blowing directly into my face.


I really cannot imagine how it feels for those traditional Muslim ladies to be all wrapped up in black while walking along Orchard Road in the mid afternoon with the sun beating down on them. R.E.S.P.E.C.T. personally, I would rather die.


Things are also heating up for the dance team. We'll be having a performance on the 19th and 20th of December at Ngee Ann Polytechnic called Danzation, which is a collaboration of Ngee Ann Poly's dance troupe with dance clubs of various schools in Singapore. For those who are interested in attending this event, please drop me and email at anyhowblogs@gmail.com or SMS me ASAP so I can help you book the tickets. Tickets are priced at $15 per day and the event starts around 7pm on both days. This will be my first performance since joining the SIM DreamWerkz and I hope it will be a good one for all of us. To find out more about Danzation, head on down to their official website: danzation.blogspot.com


On another random note, I was wondering why Tennis is the only sport that does not follow Mathematical order in its points system. All other competitive sports that we can think of start from 0 and have a standard index of increment... except for tennis, which goes by 0-15-30-40. And who's great idea was it to replace 0 with the word LOVE? Since I'm back early today and have nothing better to do with my life, I just had to go and google for the answer... And here is what I came up with...


*Note: The follow excerpts are lifted from online websites, therefore I shall not be liable for any information that is deemed as nonsensical or untrue.




USELESS FACTS No. 461: The Strange Point System in Tennis


The word 'love' was probably used instead of zero because love comes from the french word l'oeuf. L'ouef means egg, egg symbolizes nothing, and zero means nothing.It is assumed that is why love is used as zero. Another explanation for why 'love' is used as zero is because love means egg - and an egg looks like a zero. The English missed pronounced l'ouef as love.


The strange points system is probably from when the games were first played, in medieval times. A clock face was used on the court.. each time they scored a point the clock hand would move a quarter. When it got to sixty the game was finished.
So the scoring was: love, 15, 30, 45, and then 60. Instead of what it would usually be: 0, 1, 2, 3 and then 4. Which ever person got to 60 and scored 4 points first would win the game. After a while 45 got shortened to 40 and people stopped saying 60.



And for your reading pleasure, here's another useless fact:


USELESS FACTS No. 45: A cockroach will live nine days without its head before it starves to death.


Anyhow written on Oct 29, 2008 at 1:16 PM

0 bored people said something about this

Post a Comment



Tweet Logo



MusicPlaylist
Music Playlist at MixPod.com




The Adverts






Talk To Me






My Wants
  • iPhone 3GS
  • My 6-pac
  • SIM admission /
    Straight As
  • Stylo Levi's Jeans
  • NEW Stylo Levi's Jeans
  • 170cm
  • Dyed Hair
  • Funky Nike Shoes
  • Spiderweb Surf Shorts




Exits
Buds

Alex
Azfar
Azri
Fauzi
Fitri
Geoffrey
Ian
Timothy
Yao Kun
Zheng Da
& Babes

Andrina
Candy
Cheryl Small
Emily
Florence
Hui Wen
Jamie
Jasmine
Julie
Kanny
Kimberly
Lee Peng
Li Ting
Ling Yu
Po
Sabrina
Serena
Serene
Shi Qi
Xin Zi
Yvonne





Other Reads




My Creations



My Creations



The Past








Counters And Stuff


My blog is worth $1,129.08.
How much is your blog worth?






Satureday Comeback Challenge Round 26 Winner




Anyhow's Peace Globe 2006




Anyhow's Peace Globe 2007




Anyhow's Peace Globe 2008




Anyhow's Peace Globe 2009